Tax tips for Teaching or Coaching

As a teacher or school coach, you may be able to claim deductions for the following expenses. The expenses should be work-related and be paid out from your pocket but not reimbursed by your employer.

  • Books, journals and professional library
  • Car expenses
  • Travel expenses
  • Clothing expenses (including footwear and work uniforms)
  • Laundry and dry-cleaning expenses
  • Excursions, school trips and camps
  • Hiring equipment
  • Overtime meal expenses
  • Phone and internet expenses
  • Self-education expenses
  • Seminars and conferences
  • Stationery (e.g. logbooks, diaries and pens used for work)
  • Teaching aids
  • Union and professional association fees
  • Working from home (including running expenses of an office or a study at home that are directly related to your job)
  • Sunglasses, sunhats and sunscreen lotions (if school sporting coach)
  • Tools and equipment (if use them to perform your duties as a teacher or educational professional)
  • Repairs to tools and equipment

You can’t claim the expenses for personal use as well as the following expenses:

  • Child care
  • Fines
  • Fitness expenses
  • Grooming (including haircut)
  • Meal and snack expenses
  • Student expenses
  • Social functions (cost of attending staff dinners and other entertainment expenses)
  • Occupancy expenses incurred for working from home (e.g. rent, rates, mortgage interest and house insurance premiums)

Call us on (03) 9548 1699 to book an appointment. We will provide you with professional tax strategies to maximise your tax refunds!

Google Rating